
I am the Knight
on the chess board
jumping around
to your moves
With blinkers on
thinking you'd know
I hope you do
I know you do.
Jumping the squares
from black to white
the journey is long, tiring
I am ready for the fight.
I look around to see
the more powerful players
The Rook that moves
royally straight
That Bishop that stings
with its diagonal tail
And the little Pawns
a mighty step each time.
And the greatest of 'em all
the Queen.
Scripting her own path
charting her own course.
I wonder where I stand
In that mighty order
Yet I know
You love me the same
I am needed too.
And now, here I am
with the Queen.
Two and a half steps away
From the King.
Checkmated.
Just the three of us
On those 64 squares.
And I know we have won.
March 05, 2009
Also, sorry for any fault in Chess rules, I am a beginner still. : )
on the chess board
jumping around
to your moves
With blinkers on
thinking you'd know
I hope you do
I know you do.
Jumping the squares
from black to white
the journey is long, tiring
I am ready for the fight.
I look around to see
the more powerful players
The Rook that moves
royally straight
That Bishop that stings
with its diagonal tail
And the little Pawns
a mighty step each time.
And the greatest of 'em all
the Queen.
Scripting her own path
charting her own course.
I wonder where I stand
In that mighty order
Yet I know
You love me the same
I am needed too.
And now, here I am
with the Queen.
Two and a half steps away
From the King.
Checkmated.
Just the three of us
On those 64 squares.
And I know we have won.
March 05, 2009
PS- I had an exam today, and this one was conceptualized then. Wonder what's with exams and poems! At 2 in the night, this idea struck me and I jotted down that thought. And in the Exam hall, I had nothing much to do (as usual! :D), and this happened. Just another scribble. Thanks for your patience! : )
Also, sorry for any fault in Chess rules, I am a beginner still. : )
37 comments:
i call this as "enlightening strikes a girl at midnight" WOW!
you are everything..
you were the "bishop with diagonal tails"..
you were the "rook that move royally straight"
you were the knight jumping from blact to white ready to fight(omg!wow!)..
and then you are the queen scripting your own destiny..
yes check mate..
the reader-mind is freezed..
i label this enlightening poetry..
because that is what mind is..
the player,the pieces,and the game..
all are the same..
salutes...
WOW!
Exam halls always does that to us ;) Plus we get interested in doing other things especially during exam time! Best of luck dear!
Nice verses, Tara... Very imaginative. It is quite interesting - how you end up conjuring ideas and jotting them whilst exams. :)
Hope your exam was not so "chequered", rather - "checkmated"! :)
Queen charts her own path all right, but not like the knight. ;)
Take care. Bonne chance.
Peace.
---
I spare you the blues of facebook, madamoiselle. :) Blog updated.
But the wrong post is showing up on blogrolls/dashboards.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Oh! Google uncle is learning a lot of [bad ;)] Tamil! Gonna type - goyya!
Wow, that was beautiful... and as far as the poem striking you the night before the exam, well I used to go through the same thing too... it's good to know that I'm not the only one! :D
yeah. Strange that all of us interested in doing all the other stuffs [except studying of course!] during exams :) for me it is either games or movies during exam times :)
btw, a chess board has 204 squares :P
another good post :)
take care
nice ...love those moments of inspiration...something beautiful flows from somewhere ...someone..who knows...
JGD
:) nice one ... Chess is a great game ..... i love it though am not that good .. ok managaeable sort !
btw good poem that too at nite ..
guess lots in common .. i used to write during exams :D
he he ..
i had been blank 4 one paper .. had preapred but got in to some jam somewhere and guess what i ended up writing a poem .. :D
awww... i really wish i cud do sumthn like tht during an exam :D
i mean wen i look back, i think, what bore person i had been, not even looking up from the answersheet :D na i was not a topper though :P
n the chess is really really deep game :D tht means, i am fascinated by it, but not to an extent to pen down sumthn about it :D
n this piece is a masterpiece mind it :)
HI,
Nice poem, Ms. Wordsworth. (You have a new name now)
BTW, Can we play Chess sometime? But be warned...when I was in 5th grade I played a match with Matt Noble (The then No. 87 in the world) and tied it. Would have won the game but the game already was long stetching over 2 hours and eventuall y the Pricipal had to come and persuade me to go to class. So we just shook and it was over.
Anyway having Vishy, Indians have an amazing person to look up to in CHESS.
Hope you did your exams well but seriously did were u awake at 2 in the morning learning???????????
And this is just a response for the comment in your previous post about vic. Beckham.
Yeah she knows I'm using her name and she's arite with it...wats more is that she will soon be apearing in my blog with MOI.
Cheers,
Posh
Thank you so much MIP! Really, this means a lot to me! Thank you. :) That is one comment I'll cherish for a very very long time...thank you! :) I really wonder if I deserve all this at all, but I like it. :)
That is the beauty of the human mind isn't it? Changing characters effortlessly and still being sane. Beautiful. Thank you MIP really. :)
Thanks Dhanya! Wonder what's with the exam time no? ;)
Thank you so much Kartz! Something with exam time and me, writing poems during exam time is really stress relieving, really! :) The exam was fine, gave my best shot. Yes, none like the knight, the only one who can jump over pieces. There's something so enchanting, abstract about the knight. :)
As for Facebook, thanks! I was in two minds anyway. And thanks for posting it on your blog, sweet. :) Those clandestine 25. :)
Now am jealous of Google uncle! He knows more and better Tamil! Damn! Wait till I catch up with him! *pants already!*
Thanks Arnab! A partner in poetic crime eh? ;) Great to know that I am not the only crazy one around! :)
Thanks Rahmaniac! Excess of anything is bad, same applies for studies too I guess. :) And thanks for that additional information, helped my so-unmathematical brain a little! ;D
Thank you RR! A lovely note there. :) Someone who knows...someone who loves playing the game...called life. Beautiful. :)
Wow Meenu! Now that is taking the habit of writing poems to the next level! :D Writing is really such a great stress buster! :)
Thank you so much Richa! Something about exam time I tell you! In those three hours, I am at my creative best. I can think of anything under the sun, except for the answer of the next question! :P I am very fascinated by Chess, more so because I don't really know how to play it! ;)
Thanks Posh! (and this time I know which Posh you are! ;) Ms.Wordsworth eh? I can see the real Mr.Wordsworth fuming! ;) No Wordsworth me...just another ordinary girl. (If this makes Mr.Wordsworth slightly less angry, so be it :)
You so want to see yourself win don't you? :P I can imagine how angry you must've been on your Principal! Poor thing! A prodigy in the making? Autograph please. :) Yes, Vishy is really an inspiration for many.
The exam went fine. Yes, I was awake studying. In fact, I was just about to fall asleep that this idea struck me. :)
Great! Waiting to see the original Posh on your blog, what style statement would she make there I wonder! :D Looking forward to seeing her.
And good luck and study well! :)
awesome..getting inspired by a game..and that too during exam time...hhehehee
I never thought anyone could write poetry based on chess...because its a beautiful game which puts me to sleep because of my lack of expertise in it :P
really cool tara! even i get dez lightenin inspirations durin exam times..late nights indeed! hehehe!! :)
really interestin n innovative write up :) enjoyed it!!
n hope de exam went super cool :)
whoa!! im floored... for one who cant write poems.. and specially not if its not emotionally related to me, just for writing pleasure; i hold you in the highest regard.. you are amazing
wow...wow..!!!
Your best till date Tara...!!
How imaginative... creative... it was lovely..!! really..!!
Writing an exam as well as a poem....That's wat intelligent students r all abt.. :P
n y this word verification ya??
Cheers..!!
Arjun
Hehe thanks Praveen! :) Well, I didn't have much to do during the exam, so might as well think of a poem! :D Yes indeed chess is a beautiful game and I'd love to learn how to play it. Puts you to sleep? :P
Thanks Sashu! Something with late nights na? Or is it silence? May be. :)
As for the exam, it went 'supaa-cool'! :D
Thank you so much Raka! :) And really look who's talking? Modesty I tell you! You write wonderful poems girlie, I love the 'Love triumphs' one, very beautiful and sensitive! You are amazing too! :D
Thank you Arjun! At the huge expense of sounding terribly cliched, the best is yet to come. :) Intelligent student? That's what jobless students are all about you mean! :D The word verification, just to ensure that you know how to read! Lol! :P
I was offended by the word i had to verify... :P hehe
Cheers..!!
Arjun
Like the chess game you have won, also win in the exams. Wishing you all the best
##@Tara
** There's something so enchanting, abstract about the knight.
- Bingo. You got what I meant.
** I was in two minds anyway.
- Sorry abt that, then! Good thing you did not end up on facebook just cos of a whim or something like that. Big deal. If I wouldn't have put it up, I would have sent it to you as an email.
##@Arjun
** n y this word verification ya??
- Tara wants to know how much "Tamil" Google Uncle can throw up.
Aila! ##@Tara
Guess what!? "s e r i y a" O_O
(I dare wonder if that is in response to what you had mentioned in your reply to me; playing "catch-up"...)
Coincidences, coincidences...
Peace. Have a nice weekend.
Hehe Arjun! OK, I'll remove word verif if you wish, just give me some time. :)
Thank you so much Suresh for that sweet note! :)
Thanks Kartz! Really glad you could put that up! :)
Ippo Google Uncle trouble porandhunnu neengalum aa? Siva siva! ;P Damn! I feel so inferior and loser-ish! ;) Wonder what's with you and my word verif? You have great luck yaar! Really. :)
An open letter to Google Uncle
Pranaam
Hey Google Devta! Wassup? I pray to thee to go slow on your Tamil please, so that lesser mortals like me can catch up with you. If not catch up, at least come somewhere close to you. Please bless this innocent soul Googleji! I shall forever be grateful! :)
Regards to Mrs.Google and love to baby G. :)
Sadaa aapki sharanon mein
Aapki pyari bhakt
Tara
"porandhunnu"? Eh..? New word? Enlighten me!
** Sadaa aapki sharanon mein
- Hamil or Tindi? Thanks to "sharanam" ;D
Ok ok, no angry-angry look. :P
*vanishes*
Peace.
---
And hmph! No word-verif cracker. :( Remove that letter!
Dear Google uncle,
Please help me improve Tara's Tamil with ur profound combinations of word verification.
*psst! It helps me improve mine, too*
I know you are single. Forgive Tara's inadequacy. :P to Tara on your behalf.
Peace.
The exultant One aka Kartz
Typos left, right and centre! Ayyo! ;)
Then that was poradhunnu I guess! I don't know...
*was trying to show off...terribly failed in my effort!*
sharanon was a genuine typo...the c became an s...was supposed to be charanon mein! The only language I thought I knew decently well...and whoosh! My bubble breaks! *sniff sniff*
Hamil or Tindi? Wowie! Excellent one there! Hahhahaaha! :D
Hah! I have removed the word-verification! Na rahegi baans, na bajegi baansuri! ;)
How do you know Google uncle is single? I can sniff something! Tell me tell me you smarty boy! :)
---
Welcome to the World of Tara's dictionary! You are one among our exclusive clients and we thank you for your subscription.
Please leave your comment after the beep.
B-E-E-P!
Thank you for subscribing to Tara's dictionary!
Your feedback is valued and we would love to know how much you love this dictionary!
~Press 1 if you think this dictionary is amazing!
~Press 2 if you love this dictionary!
~Press 3 if you are an idiot! ;)
Thank you! Congratulations! You are not an idiot! :)
---
Let's get started with the lessons.
Lesson number I
Invented word/phrase - Paar yaar pesaraa! which literally translates into "Look who's talking!". This phrase was used by our great author at the marriage reception of one of her cousins and it was highly critically acclaimed for being one of her most innovative phrases! Let me remind you sir that you are indeed one among the lucky ones to receive personal guidance from the author herself. We hope that you shall continue your valuable patronage.
Peace. Be well. ;)
---
Ok...sorry! Just in one of my I-so-want-to-type moods, so wrote all the nonsense that came to my mind. Your patience is highly appreciated! ;)
And yes, I checked this comment twice for any typos! ;D
*ahem* *ahem*
* a h e m *
Did I say *ahem*?
So there is *only* one lesson thus far? Can't wait for lessons 2, 3, ... infinity. :)
Or will they be "unlocked" after taking up *ahem* certification examinations. ;D
Typos... *har har har*, guess what! (In my comment space) Instead of typing "tarasworld", u typed taraswold. LOL! Boo! Ha!
Ah... Skantha Sashti Kavacham. Yenakku nallave theriyume! You'd recite it perfectly as a child? I see childish exuberance in you even now. So, not to worry, things will fall right in place. I guess you just have to remind the child in you to surface. :)
Not "okkadrungo" dear; it is "okkandundu irungo" (or) "okkarungo". :) Ok... Next time one of my folks makes fun of my Tamil (No, you may not know the epithets that are associated with me :P ), he/she has had it. Ha!
**The only language I thought I knew decently well...
- Heh heh heh... Reminds me of Carrol's poem, "What he thought he saw".
**I can sniff something!
- Guess your olfactory lobes are working overtime. ;D
And lookie lookie... Someone's being extremely extremely humble with disclaimer statements again. Ha!
Peace. Have a nice day.
Typos haunt me! Damn! :)
I will learn Tamil! Google uncle and you just wait and watch! *ahem* Ok! I will learn at my own speed! ;)
Your folks make fun of your Tamil? Really? I choose not to believe that. :) C'mon I am not in TN, so it's ok for me not to know Tamil properly *excuse*! But you are there, so how can your Tamil not be fine? You are just being too modest I guess, or saying all this to make me feel a little less loserish (Hah! Alliteration!) I think. :)
Olfactory lobes? Amma says the same thing! She says I must've been a dog in my previous birth! ;)
U do *not* stay in TN..? Your college..? KM? Not in TN? Ummm... Me confused... :|
And oy, you have absolutely no idea yaar. Back in school/college, heh heh heh, forget it. Ghar pe, no problem. My parents and grandparents understand my pukka Brahmin-esque baashai. (Of course, with the auto-waalas, my second self comes out.)
Anyway... Take good care. Prepare well for your exams. Ace 'em.
Good luck!
Peace. Be well.
---
Mind if I add u to GTalk? (kartster - my id)
Post a Comment