After a heavy breakfast of pongal and chutney and three rounds of coffee, it's time to leave. Aunty offers kungumam (kumkum) to amma and me, and we bid goodbye. The three of us - amma, uncle (amma's director friend) and I walk towards his car. The driver dressed in crisp white opens the door for him. Uncle sits in the front while we both make ourselves comfortable at the back.
"Crescent Avenue poganum pa, Madras Talkies" (We need to go to Crescent Avenue to Madras Talkies) he tells the driver who nods. A familiarity in his nod.
The name sounds sweetly familiar, I think. Madras Talkies.
The drive is quite long, and a very silent one too, for me. Amma and uncle relive their beautiful memories, nostalgia engulfs both as they reminisce about the different plays they staged and the goof-ups made. My contribution to the entire conversation was limited to coughing and sneezing thrice. That was Chennai's gift to me - a running nose.
I watch the proceedings outside. A lady arguing with the auto driver over the fare. A girl selling fresh jasmine flowers. Rows of big showrooms selling silk sarees. The malls. The narrow flyovers. The school girls on their scooties, their hair oiled and neatly plaited and a rose firmly in place. We are waiting at a traffic signal. The man on the bike recognises uncle and grins a very star-struck smile. Uncle smiles back too, and we move on.
I don't know what I am experiencing. It is a mix of various emotions - excitement, happiness, apprehension, nervousness, glee, anxiety, feeling blessed - all of them run across my mind like a trailer to the final film. And to think, I was about to live the most important moments of my life in some time. I rehearsed my answers, lip synced them almost. I try to perfect my smile, not too much teeth, I tell myself.
I had put on the perfect smile, and I look up only to find the magazine seller looking amused, having witnessed all my antics.
The car comes to a halt, "Vandhaachu saar" (We have reached sir) the driver announces as he gets off to open the door for uncle. "Vandhaachu" uncle repeats, as he looks at me, smiles. I smile too.
My heart now beats faster than ever. I can hear it. My hands feel cold, tremble.
There in front of me stands the huge building. "Madras Talkies. 15, Crescent Avenue" the board reads and I read it again and again and yet again. "Those alphabets look so familiar" I murmur and amma gives me a content smile.
We walk through the well manicured gardens, towards the main building. The flowers, the grass, the wind all seem to be smiling, acknowledging our presence. As uncle walks in, the lady at the reception stands up. "Good morning sir. Sir is waiting for you" she greets in her sweet voice. I look at her, she smiles. I smile back.
We walk down the lobby, carefully on the shining marble floor, towards the lift. The lift man stands up and salutes "Vanakkam saar". Uncle slightly tilts his head in acknowledgement.
The second floor.
Uncle leads us through the floor, a long lobby. Posters line the walls, placed in chronological order. I walk, gaping, wide eyed, looking at each mastepiece adorning the wall. We reach the end of the lobby and there is the office. The office. Uncle asks us to sit on the sofa outside while he goes inside the room. The nameplate on the door, black alphabets embossed in gold. The moment stands still. I hold on to the wall, I feel shaky. My eyes swell up and I grin the brightest grin, showing all my teeth.
I walk towards the door. My fingers admire the beauty of the name, as the gold seems to be melting in my hands.
I sit on the beige coloured sofa. Amma is busy flipping through some Tamil magazines. I sit there patiently, as Shah Rukh stares at me from the opposite wall. I send up a prayer, thanking him for this opportunity.
Uncle comes out and says "Vaa" (Come) and both of us walk towards the door. That door with the nameplate.
The moment is here. The moment. I have been waiting for this to happen for years. That moment is about to unfold itself. Bliss.
We enter the room. My heart feels much at peace now. A heavenly atmosphere, like Gods lived there.
He welcomes us with a smile. "Good morning young lady" he says as he stretches his right hand towards me. I like it. I shake hands with him. He almost senses the trembling and gives me a more reassuring, long smile. I touch divinity, a purity that rarely exists, an honesty that is precious. In those eyes, resides a clean simple soul, such clarity, such brightness that it blinds you.
"You are..." he looks at me questioningly. I remain dumb, unable to speak, my throat is dry. I am still floating in the crystal waters of divinity. Amma completes the sentence.
"Nice name" he says as I continue to soak in his aura. Those rehearsed answers, that perfected smile, now forgotten.
"Have we met before?" he asks, almost certain in his tone. We have. I know we have. I wanted to say, but couldn't. He just smiled.
I walked up to him and touched his feet. An electric shock passed through me. That moment has arrived. That moment I felt so small, so blessed, so loved, so beautiful. I touched God in his purest form. Bliss. Nirvana.
The moment stood still...
Somewhere in the distance, I could hear the title track of Dil Se. Rahman sir's soulful voice added more magic to the moment.
That moment of my life.
I realized the earphone was still plugged into my ears...Dil se re...Dil se re... I woke up and checked the time.
04:39
I smiled. And went back to sleep.
They say, early morning dreams come true. Don't they?
"Crescent Avenue poganum pa, Madras Talkies" (We need to go to Crescent Avenue to Madras Talkies) he tells the driver who nods. A familiarity in his nod.
The name sounds sweetly familiar, I think. Madras Talkies.
The drive is quite long, and a very silent one too, for me. Amma and uncle relive their beautiful memories, nostalgia engulfs both as they reminisce about the different plays they staged and the goof-ups made. My contribution to the entire conversation was limited to coughing and sneezing thrice. That was Chennai's gift to me - a running nose.
I watch the proceedings outside. A lady arguing with the auto driver over the fare. A girl selling fresh jasmine flowers. Rows of big showrooms selling silk sarees. The malls. The narrow flyovers. The school girls on their scooties, their hair oiled and neatly plaited and a rose firmly in place. We are waiting at a traffic signal. The man on the bike recognises uncle and grins a very star-struck smile. Uncle smiles back too, and we move on.
I don't know what I am experiencing. It is a mix of various emotions - excitement, happiness, apprehension, nervousness, glee, anxiety, feeling blessed - all of them run across my mind like a trailer to the final film. And to think, I was about to live the most important moments of my life in some time. I rehearsed my answers, lip synced them almost. I try to perfect my smile, not too much teeth, I tell myself.
I had put on the perfect smile, and I look up only to find the magazine seller looking amused, having witnessed all my antics.
The car comes to a halt, "Vandhaachu saar" (We have reached sir) the driver announces as he gets off to open the door for uncle. "Vandhaachu" uncle repeats, as he looks at me, smiles. I smile too.
My heart now beats faster than ever. I can hear it. My hands feel cold, tremble.
There in front of me stands the huge building. "Madras Talkies. 15, Crescent Avenue" the board reads and I read it again and again and yet again. "Those alphabets look so familiar" I murmur and amma gives me a content smile.
We walk through the well manicured gardens, towards the main building. The flowers, the grass, the wind all seem to be smiling, acknowledging our presence. As uncle walks in, the lady at the reception stands up. "Good morning sir. Sir is waiting for you" she greets in her sweet voice. I look at her, she smiles. I smile back.
We walk down the lobby, carefully on the shining marble floor, towards the lift. The lift man stands up and salutes "Vanakkam saar". Uncle slightly tilts his head in acknowledgement.
The second floor.
Uncle leads us through the floor, a long lobby. Posters line the walls, placed in chronological order. I walk, gaping, wide eyed, looking at each mastepiece adorning the wall. We reach the end of the lobby and there is the office. The office. Uncle asks us to sit on the sofa outside while he goes inside the room. The nameplate on the door, black alphabets embossed in gold. The moment stands still. I hold on to the wall, I feel shaky. My eyes swell up and I grin the brightest grin, showing all my teeth.
I walk towards the door. My fingers admire the beauty of the name, as the gold seems to be melting in my hands.
I sit on the beige coloured sofa. Amma is busy flipping through some Tamil magazines. I sit there patiently, as Shah Rukh stares at me from the opposite wall. I send up a prayer, thanking him for this opportunity.
Uncle comes out and says "Vaa" (Come) and both of us walk towards the door. That door with the nameplate.
The moment is here. The moment. I have been waiting for this to happen for years. That moment is about to unfold itself. Bliss.
We enter the room. My heart feels much at peace now. A heavenly atmosphere, like Gods lived there.
He welcomes us with a smile. "Good morning young lady" he says as he stretches his right hand towards me. I like it. I shake hands with him. He almost senses the trembling and gives me a more reassuring, long smile. I touch divinity, a purity that rarely exists, an honesty that is precious. In those eyes, resides a clean simple soul, such clarity, such brightness that it blinds you.
"You are..." he looks at me questioningly. I remain dumb, unable to speak, my throat is dry. I am still floating in the crystal waters of divinity. Amma completes the sentence.
"Nice name" he says as I continue to soak in his aura. Those rehearsed answers, that perfected smile, now forgotten.
"Have we met before?" he asks, almost certain in his tone. We have. I know we have. I wanted to say, but couldn't. He just smiled.
I walked up to him and touched his feet. An electric shock passed through me. That moment has arrived. That moment I felt so small, so blessed, so loved, so beautiful. I touched God in his purest form. Bliss. Nirvana.
The moment stood still...
Somewhere in the distance, I could hear the title track of Dil Se. Rahman sir's soulful voice added more magic to the moment.
That moment of my life.
I realized the earphone was still plugged into my ears...Dil se re...Dil se re... I woke up and checked the time.
04:39
I smiled. And went back to sleep.
They say, early morning dreams come true. Don't they?
PS - This post marks my 50th post on this blog. I had planned another post to mark this occasion, but that seems to be taking longer than planned. This one is completely unplanned, unedited and unwritten on paper. The other post should be releasing soon. :D
The last few days have been...let me say...too much happened too soon. Now, things seem to settling down, touch wood. But God has his own ways of putting things in place, and I know he is very good at his job. Also, he knows exactly how to cheer one up. In the morning, we discovered a brown and white bundle of joy, a cute little puppy, may be around 6 weeks old! Awww...he is so adorable! : )
I would also like to thank you for the support, the appreciation and the suggestions and I hope you will continue your valuable patronage. Too formal na! Anyway, a big thank you! ; )
The last few days have been...let me say...too much happened too soon. Now, things seem to settling down, touch wood. But God has his own ways of putting things in place, and I know he is very good at his job. Also, he knows exactly how to cheer one up. In the morning, we discovered a brown and white bundle of joy, a cute little puppy, may be around 6 weeks old! Awww...he is so adorable! : )
I would also like to thank you for the support, the appreciation and the suggestions and I hope you will continue your valuable patronage. Too formal na! Anyway, a big thank you! ; )
42 comments:
haha...i was reading ur page wen u commented on mine...i havent finished it though....so will write a proper comment lil later...are u on gmail...can i add u if u are...???
lol!!dream!?nice narration!!hope this comes true!!nice one tara:)
Thanks G3! I hope so too! :)
Hahaha..... god i was thinking al the while........Who the person is.......well very good narration, as if it was real.... hope it wil come true dear :)
Thanks Devil! God! I find it quite funny to thank the devil each time...so I guess next time I'd thank Ms.Pillai! :) I too hope so. :) Did you ultimately figure out who it was? Mani Ratnam sir, just in case. :)
tara dear,dis tym u made me speechless...i mean wat a real dream..congrats 4 ur 50th post,keep blogging,cheerio..
Ok....now u made the real God angry....just make soem pariharas fastly so that ur dream can come true!
U Rock Tara :) That almost sounded like the opening scenes of an Indian "Bend It Like Beckham" - just replace Parminder with you and Beckham with "God" :) You are gonna be one heavenofa script writer and filmmaker ! :) Don't forget us lesser mortals when you are up there receiving them Filmfares, National, Globes and Oscars :)
JGD,
p.s. But seriously 3 cups of coffee...after doing kriya, even going near a cup of caffine gives me a headache.
Wah re Wah..!! Wat dreams u get ya...!! hehe..
The narration was too good pethi..!! I could picture the whole seen.... that kumkum part n all made me feel so real.. I thought i should ask u to introduce me to ur uncle to ask to make me a hero... But damn.. it was a dream..hehe ;)
50 posts.. Gr8 ya.. Congrats....
Cheers..!!
Arjun ( no nick names here.. hehe)
tara you are a star :) what u wrote about in my blog is something which happens to very few people , " don't change" :) i am truly amazed by your calibre .
and about the dream , :) morning dreams do come true . *all the best * (for life and after :) )
Amen.
Warm felicitations on this significant personal milestone, madamoiselle. I wish you well...
Bonne chance!
Peace.
---
Hey Tara,
Thanks a ton for that sweet wish. :) Been a bit held up; couldn't respond to you earlier.
And not to worry, I quite understand your stance with Tamil. For, I can very well relate to it. You have company that way. ;)
Peace. Be well.
wah wah wah!
kya dreammm hei
Juss wish tat was ma dream...
arre haan re..yesh it will surely come true....:)
well,
aaj mere practical exams khatam hue..well theory abhi baaki hei..:P
niway...a big hug and congrattz on ur 50th post dearie......
:)
:)
Wow!
For a few moments, I was sure that it would be a Dil Se moment :)
Nice post!
And congratulations!!
he he tht was interesting. :) talk abt early morning dreams.
this is unfair..I was gonna write all those congratulatory messages to you and here it comes, the suprise...the dream..
The brilliant narration actually made me believe that its reality..superb I must say..
hope this dream comes true soon
plz enlighten me mre about ur uncle.. :D
Ah, rehmaan, he is a shadow of god's indeed..
congos for the 50..may u have many more :D
n u write fab :)
Hi
Just saw your comment in my blog,
My public exams start only on March 18 and end on April 8.I'm working for it.........
I'll be back soon...........And my leg is alrite.....thanx........So how u?.............And nice new template........flashy.....pink..:)
Cheers
Posh
Thank you so much Anwesa! I wait eagerly for your comment, they make me smile! :)
Hehe thanks Ela! That is why I have talked about the real God being very good at his job in the end...that is my parihara! ;)
Thank you so very much RR! You seem to have perfected the art of making people happy by giving the best comment! Not that I mind it! :) You are just being too kind. But yes, your comment does mean a lot to me, and made me grin my brightest grin! :) I wonder what the movie would be titled..."Shoot it like God" perhaps! :D Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)
PS- It gives you a headache? Am a coffee maniac! :)
Hehe thanks Arjun! This is completely unfair th@th@! Hehe :P Introduction venuma? Kandippa. Just give me that hand free of cost! I'll look into it then! Haha.. :D
Shukriya Amuji! I am the star...quite literally! :D I choose to call my scribbling a 'painting', others will definitely differ! Am just another teenager trying to show-off! :P I really do hope this dream comes true one day. :)
Merci beaucoup Kartz! Glad. :) You actually understood my Tamil? Now that's some good news and an achievement (for both)! Am happy! :D Wow! Thank God I have company in you, I was feeling so left out in blog ville full of Tamilians who speak great Tamil! Welcome on board! :)
Thanks yaar PJ! Good to see you here! :) Khatam ho gaye practicals? Good. I thought they'd end on the 13th. Chal theory acchi tarah padhiyo! Chak de! :) Hope this dream comes true...thanks sissy! :)
Thank you so much Usha ma'am! (I have shifted to Usha ma'am from Ushaji...that almost sounded babuish! Plus this suits a teacher better. :) I seem to be the suspense girl...hehe! :P Very glad. :)
Thanks Ria! Glad. :) Hehe :D
Hehe thanks Praveen! Ulakame unfair thaan...what to do! ;) I hope so too. :)
Hehe Richa! Thank you! :D Indeed, Rahman sir is a shadow of God. :)
Hey Posh (not Mrs.Beckham)! Good to see you! Oh...so you have Boards this year? I am sure you are going to rock it brother! Me doing fine, and thanks! I love the template too! :) Your exams finish on the April 8th? Mine start on the 9th! Hehe.. :D
hoi..!! no nick names here madam... That too not that depressing one pls.. :P
And btw.. It's all in the head, not in the hand... Dont ask my head.. U've already eaten it.. hehe
Cheers..!!
Arjun
Heh heh heh, I quite understand. Atleast, back home, I am properly understood. It's outside with friends. So... Prefer sticking with Aangilam. :)
And hey... I dunno, I think I can get close to hilarious only with tags! Otherwise, I seriously *suck* at humour... Siva Siva thaan! ;D And oh yeah... Dontcha untie laces? :P Or as the many plebs say, do you - "open the shoes"... :D
Btw, you on orkut/facebook?
Peace.
Hehe Arjun! You find it depressing? I find it cute! :P I haven't seen my grandfathers, so I looked for that reflection in you. Senti! :D
Yeah...all in the head I know! No wonder my stomach's been aching! I had your head for breakfast! My poor stomach cannot digest old thatha's head! Lol! :D
Haha Kartz! :D I called up amma to check what aangilam meant. :) At home, my parents have gotten used my Hindi/English-inspired Tamil, so they don't find it funny anymore. It's when we go down south that the trouble begins!
Usually people end up laughing, but sometimes I land myself in trouble too! Quite a few times actually! :D
No. I don't untie laces. I take off my shoes just like that! :P But the tag was smartly done, no doubt. 50 questions! Whoa! :D
As for Orkut/Facebook, was there earlier, no longer. Romba 'network' panniyachu...porum! There was a time when I was on each and every 'social networking' site but have gotten over it now! One big addiction that is! :)
Aww..!! So senti..!!
My hanky is wet with my tears.. I'm squeezing it and watering the plants with it..... :P
U r totally playing with my nick name in public.. apacharam apacharam...
Btw?? How was it (my head)? Tasty??
What??? You actually called up Auntie? Heh heh heh... And yes, the further South you go, the accent changes. And yes, do not remind me of the goof-ups! Tcha... Words are twisted to mean so many things ;D Fun and trouble at the same time...
Heh heh heh, been long since I did a tag. So, just gave it a go.
Ha ha! Addicting, yes. But I have never ventured anywhere beyond orkut/facebook. Joined 'em nearly 6 yrs back and am quite content. :) Joined twitter few months back - but naah! I dont think micrblogging sites are for me though. ;P
Trust all is well. Tc.
Peace.
Arjun, now the plants need something sweet...the 'water' they got was too salty they complain! Uppu! :D
Hehe. :D Your head? Ahem, don't remind me of it, just now has my stomach stopped growling! All I can say is I'd never recommend your head to anyone! Eat it at your own risk! :D
Yup Kartz, I asked amma. How do you expect me to know what aangilam means! Today I learnt the names of the different days of the week! So, you know where I am! :D
Yes, the accent does change a lot especially towards the Coimbatore side. Fun and trouble? Absolutely. Fun for others and trouble for me! :P
I have a tag too in the pipeline. Waiting for the green signal. :)
6 years! Wow! Seriously! I got fed up of it within 6 months! Hehe :D I was there on Twitter too, left it. I mean who's really interested in what I just ate or how I am feeling! ;)
Thanks, things getting better. :)
Be good. Be happy. (And I know you are already good, so just be happy! :)
*See...am being sweet!*
hi tara,
b'ful screenplay...b'ful dream. hope ur dreams come true...
smiles,
nita.
I taught u a new word. Wow! My friends wdnt believe me for anything! ;D
Learning the days of the week... *tried to recollect what they are*
Ermmm... Now don't quiz me. I think I know. :P
Hey... It becomes serious trouble! Double entendres that I never knew, existed! Baap-re... It was horrible... Got a grip over it now, though...
Heh heh heh, precise reason y I am not a *twit* on *twitter* ;D
**thanks his stars that one of his friends hasn't and prolly won't see that last statement**
Ha ha, of course, madamoiselle is very very sweet. Need you mention? :)
Everything comes a circle. So, normalcy will be restored very soon. Tc.
Peace.
Thanks Nita! Good to see you back. I had changed my template, so somewhere on the way lost your link. Sorry. :)
Yes Kartz! You actually did. Aangilam. I shall remember. :)
I bet you know the days of the week! Now don't act so modest! :P
I'll tell you a conversation I had at a wedding reception with my cousin
Cousin: We love thayir saadham don't we? *naughty grin looking at other cousins*
Tara: I love thayir saadham too! *thinking innocently about the actual curd rice that she so loves!*
C: Do you know what it means? *smirks*
T: Curd rice *announces with pride*
And well, C cracked up laughing! Still haven't figured out what is so funny in thayir saadham! Another such double entendre as you say I guess. :)
See you are one among the chosen ones to see the sweet side of this mademoiselle! :D
Thanks...very sweet of you. *and this time I mean it* Felt good. :) Normalcy is on its way. :)
LOL @ Thayir saadam. I think it means something like bhola-bhaala na..?
And hey, am not being modest! If I tell you what I have faced with the language, you'll have a good laugh too. :)
See? I told you things'll be ok soon... :)
Take care.
Peace. Be well.
Post a Comment