Sunday, November 23, 2008

Where I was, where I am, where I wish to be....

I have been tagged by both Praveen and Ushaji. Thank you so much! So here goes.......


Two questions from the past, present and future. Answer them and then tag your friends from the blog-o-sphere. Leave a comment on their blog letting them know they have been tagged .


Yesterday

-Your oldest memories


This goes back a long time! When I was born, on a Thursday evening, I am told, that I didn’t cry at all, I was observing the world, with my big eyes! As a child I was very fond of sapotas (also known as Chiku in Hindi) (I still am ;). I was so fond of it, that I wouldn’t even let paati (grandmother) peel it fully and would snatch it from her hands…and I was all of 6 months! I would have an elaborate bathing session, first the oiling with paati, the actual bathing with amma, and the sambrani (loban in Hindi) for drying my hair with appa.


I knew how to hold things, but I didn’t know how to put them back! So, every time I’d get hold of something, and not knowing how to keep it, I’d start that slight moaning, which was an indication to my family and they’d come to my rescue! We had a huge garden in our house. After watering the plants, appa would hand over the tube to me, and I’d be there for hours together, playing in the water. Amma would call from office in the afternoons, and I would run around with the receiver in my hands, with both the paatis behind me!


Usually, children are tricked into eating food, and so was I. Making me eat was one big task. And both my paatis had their own tricks! One paati would ask me “Kaka eppidi vaaye tharakkum?” (How does the crow open its mouth?),“Singham eppid vaaye tharakkum?” (How does the lion open its mouth?),“Korungu eppidi vaaye tharakkum?” (How does the monkey open its mouth?) And each time, innocently, I would do “Aaaa” and off went the food in my mouth! The other paati, would take names of all my relatives, and feed me “Periappakku oru vaai” (One mouthful for uncle), “Attaikku oru vaai” (One mouthful for your aunt). My food would finish before the names did!


That’s a lot of memories now!


What were you doing ten years ago?


Umm…ten years ago, I was in the Third grade. The first year, when I started participating in activities! I remember having performed the play “Goldilocks and the Three Bears” I was the mama bear (being the tallest girl in class). I had just three dialogues:


“Someone’s been eating my porridge”

“Someone’s been sitting in my chair”

“Someone’s been sleeping in my bed too”


And we all felt so good after the thunderous round of applause, like it had been the most difficult character to play! I was also in the class choir (yes there was a time when I could sing, without fearing being beaten up for it!). The first song we performed was


“Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens

Brown paper packages tied up with strings

These are a few of my favorite things…………..


When I’m feeling sad,

I simply remember my favorite things,

And then I don’t feel so bad”


And for the performance, we had to wear a white frock. I remember going around with amma, searching for that perfect frock, and finally we found it! A beautiful frock in white satin and lace, I still have it! How I felt like a princess singing the song!


And it was also the first time I danced on stage in the school annual day function. The teachers left us to do our own make-up. And none of us had any clue about it! So, for the blush, we took pink lipstick and used it on our cheeks. And there we were on stage, looking like clowns, with bright pink circles on our cheeks!


Around this time, we had been on a holiday to Coimbatore, and from there we were to proceed to Ooty. My aunt was to join us after her work got over, and we had 2-3- hours in hand. Just to pass time, amma, appa and myself, walked into a mini trade fair. There we walked into the silk stall, where the silk making process was on. Hundreds and thousands of cocoons were put in a big vessel of boiling water. One worm with a brave heart tried to escape, and it had reached up to the rim, struggling to get away. How many had lost the battle, we don’t know! I cried, and questioned innocently, if we had to do this just for a mere pattu pavadai (silk skirt) or pattu podavai (silk sari). We haven’t touched silk ever since.


Today


I am your regular college goer. Eco(H). Also, pursuing photography along with studies, something I’ve always wanted to do. There are many other things that I wanted to do, but I can’t devote enough time to them right now. But I will take them up later. My life's funda is:


“People with small minds talk about others

People with average minds talk about events

People with great minds talk about ideas”


Tomorrow


No, it’s a Monday! Not that I don’t like going to college, I hate the waking up early bit! Six days of college…yes, I have college on Saturdays too! :(


What do you see yourself doing 14 years from now?


Hopefully, location hunting for my next film! Also wish to be doing something for animals, poor creatures, they cannot even spell out their problems, and are the only ones who love faithfully! And basically, being good.


I remember having heard this song on radio once, and it got me thinking.


“Kabira jab paida hue

Toh jag hansa, hum roye

Aisi karni kar chalo

Hum hanse jag roye”


(When Kabira was born

The world laughed, we (Kabira) cried

Do such deeds in life that

The world cries and we(Kabira) smile)


That’s my guiding light for now!


If you had a time capsule, what would it contain?


Umm…tough question! I would like to take my entire family, all my friends (including my lovely blogging friends), a DSLR, a video camera (so I can preserve those beautiful moments :), Buddhe baba (so I can continue blogging), a computer mechanic (for Buddhe baba ;), Mani sir, so he can continue making beautiful and meaningful films, Rahman sir, so he can still be making soulful music, Kailash Kher, my favorite singer, and all of my dearest pets- the birds, dogs and the squirrels!


And, I am not tagging anyone. :)

48 comments:

Anwesa said...

u did d tags beautifully!!esp abt the past(ur oldest memory n 10 yrs ago).it was a cute post.n wow!economics (hons) n fotography!!
gr8 combo gal!!

Usha Pisharody said...

Woah, Tara, this is beautifully done!!

I esp. loved the childhood memories, and those from school... These are a few of my favourite things is a fav. song of mine too:) Also how your paattis used to make you eat.. I used to do it all the time with my kids, :D!! So i really know..:)

Had such fun reading this :)

Faith Lasts said...

**I would do “Aaaa”

Awwwwwh sooo cutieeeee
Such a beautifully written piece it was !

Sashu... said...

awwww...such an adorable post! lovely lovely! :)

Priya Joyce said...

ah this is such a beautiful post dear...lovely moments of ur lyf...I liked the first one..ah! u loved sapota..me too I used to call it chichu..

ah! gal photography..wow..tats gr8...may all ur drms cum true..

Phoenix said...

awesome tag...

the last paragraph....was jakkhas.... :)

kiran sawhney said...

read it full..till the end..i was so intrigued. found it very interesting and cute.

Random Reflections said...

hey tara : beautiful glimpse into your life so far in a small but detailed post :) A great filmmaker you will make !

"We haven’t touched silk ever since. " Beautiful :)

Good luck location hunting. Mani sir will be proud :)

Be good. Wait...you already are.....

JGD!

Praveen said...

hehehe...lovely!
loved the kiddie part whr u opened ur mouth like a monkey:P
and also tht innocent question on the silkworm..priceless..

the time capsule is too good:D.

hope tht 14 years down the line, I'll be acting in tht movie u r hunting the location for:D

Karthik said...

Beautiful moments of ur life r brought out.. Happy 2 see someone posting Looooooooooooong one lik me!! lol!!

//And both my paatis had their own tricks! One paati would ask me “Kaka eppidi vaaye tharakkum?” (How does the crow open its mouth?),“Singham eppid vaaye tharakkum?” (How does the lion open its mouth?),“Korungu eppidi vaaye tharakkum?” (How does the monkey open its mouth?) And each time, innocently, I would do “Aaaa” and off went the food in my mouth!//

ROTFL!! Even ma paathi had trick like "SINGAM VANDHU UNNA KADHIKUM SAAPDU"(eat or else Lion wil bite u) and i'll tell "KADIKATHUM!! NAA KATHI VAICHI VAAYA KILICHIDREN" (Let it do! I'll tear its mouth using ma knife) or else they'll say "SAAPDALA, KAKAKU KODHUTHUDUVEN" (ID u don eat wil give 2 Crow) and I'll say "KAKA! VAA!! PAATHI KUPDRAANGA!! SAAPDHU!!" (crow! Come! Paathi Calling! Come and eat)

Diana Sahu said...

The childhood memories are so beautiful Tara....this is such a cute tag...

gaurangi said...

hey Tara...
u were so naughty in childhood!
( well who isnt)
tags beautifully done... And i like ur desire to make films for those poor creatures...
cheers!

Kartz said...

:) Nice reflections there...

And oh yeah. Paati's are so patient when it comes to feeding grand-children or anything for that matter! In fact, the best part is when they scold your parents when they yell at you... "Kochikaade di... Kozhandey ku enna theriyum!" (Don't scold! What'll the kid know..?)

:D

Peace.

Tara said...

Thanks Anwesa! Your comments always bring a smile to my face! I am glad you liked it so much! :)

Tara said...

Thanks Ushaji! Your favorite song too? Nice. I am glad you enjoyed reading this!

I remember once I fed a little child using paati's technique and it worked! Felt such a great sense of achievement after every successful mouthful! LOL! :)

Tara said...

Awww! Thank you so much Bhawana! Am glad. :) You are done with your exams na?

Tara said...

Thank you so much Sashu! A very adorable comment that! :)

Tara said...

Thanks re PJ! Chichu? Awww...cho chweet! :) I pray that all your dreams come true too!

Tara said...

Thanks Raka! I am glad! :) Jhakkhas...that reminds me of Anil Kapoor...LOL! ;)

Tara said...

Thank you so much Kiran! Am glad you enjoyed reading it! :)

Tara said...

Thank you so much Random Reflections! A very beautiful and positive comment, it means a lot to me, truly! Thank you for the faith shown! I shall treasure this comment for a long time... :)

Tara said...

Thanks Praveen! Yes, I did open my mouth like a monkey...just like you did when you were a child! ;P Act in the movie? Sure, if you clear the auditions :D We could shoot in Rio de Janeiro...oru kallu rendu maanga illaya! (Didn't use the English version of this idiom, find it too sad :(

Tara said...

"KAKA! VAA!! PAATHI KUPDRAANGA!! SAAPDHU!!"

Hehe Karthik! LOL! You were one smarty kid! I am sure your paatis must have rolled with laughter too when you said that! Very funny! ;D

Anyway, thanks! I am glad you liked my experiences! Guess all children experience this... :)

Tara said...

Thanks Diana! I am glad you liked them so much! :)

Tara said...

Thanks Gaurangi! Really who isn't naughty in childhood na! I am glad you appreciate the idea! :)

Tara said...

Thanks Kartz! You are a South Indian! Didn't know that!

Oui! C'est vrai! That's really the best part! Paatis being our saviors. Anyone who scolded me would receive a nice scolding from both my paatis, and that made me feel so special! Ah...the days of childhood, when we could get away with anything, and be completely unapologetic about it! :)

GAYATHRI said...

lol!!nice one..very sweet like chikoo[:)]

Tara said...

LOL! Thanks Gayathri! ;)

Anonymous said...

that was wonderfully done tag.. good.. cool...:)
tara..! tmrw is my last day in log world....

Tara said...

Thanks Chriz! What are you up to this time? ;D No, this is not right, it's not true I know! I hope it's not true... :`(

Sandeep Balan said...

“Kaka eppidi vaaye tharakkum?” ,“Singham eppid vaaye tharakkum?” ,“Korungu eppidi vaaye tharakkum?” ,“Periappakku oru vaai” , “Attaikku oru vaai” ......do AAAAAAAAAAA....do AAAAAAAAAAA...do AAAAAAAAAAAA...cant help comment...i havent come across a more innocently done tag...and wow...you have done is so beautifully...do AAAAAAAAAAA...do AAAAAAAA...awesome daaa...that was such a great read....was sooooo nostalgic...you just tweak it a lil and it becomes malayalam...and i have also gone through wome similar stuff......do AAAAAAAAA....do AAAAAAAAAAAAA...this was so innocently cool...read it again and again...especially the yesteryears part....freaking awesome!!! do AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaa

Sandeep Balan said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ;-)

stupid dumbo kid you were...he he ;-)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ;-)

he he he he....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa ;-)

Karthik said...

And tara Ur profil pic s so cute.. It was striking me i've used it smewhr and nw when i viewed ma frnd's orkut acc, i found it.. Yes.. I've loaded the same Dog's pic in my frnd's album and said "THIS IS MY PUSS PUSS DOG... IT'S NAME IS RONALDINO BLACKY"

Karthik said...

And thnks mate fr that C-graphy notification... I played the title and Crdits again and again to find out who plays who as i'm so weak n Hindi films...

Aneesh said...

I simply loved reading the post. Well, first of all, I am always fascinated by real life experiences and I love mine too. You have put it beautifully. So many colorful incidents from your life. it is while reading this that I thought about my own oldest memory. Surprisingly, I cannot determine which one is the oldest, all seems like a mixture :)
Your kiddo experiences were so cutey cutey LOL.

Kartz said...

Oh yeah... You are not the *only* one to have been 'surprised/shocked' on hearing that. ;)

Peace.

Scribblers Inc said...

totally sweet tag!! :D

wishes

Scribblers Inc.

Tara said...

ThAAAAAAAAnks Sandeep! LOL! AAAAAAwesome comment! Thank you so much! I am glAAAd you liked it so much! ThAAAAnks! And, I think AAAfter every AAAAAA I did, I would feel this sense of AAAchievement, on having known how different AAAnimals open their mouths! LOL! HAAAA hAAAA SAAAAndu! ;D

Tara said...

Thanks Karthik! I am glad you like my profile picture! RONALDINHO BLACKY....shouldn't it be RONALIDINHO WHITEY!! Excuse my PJ please! LOL!

And about the C-graphy thing, not a problem Karthik. I'll help you out with it. When Tara is here, no fear...LOL again! ;D

Tara said...

Thanks Aneesh! For that cutey cutey comment! Am glad. :) Even, I couldn't make out the earliest memory bit, had to ask Amma Appa about that! :)

Tara said...

Thank God Kartz...am not the only surprised one here! Good, I know now! :)

Tara said...

Thanks Scribblers Inc! I am glad you liked it! :)

m said...

It's funny...most of our life are just memories or thoughts or longings isn't?!

Karthik said...

Tara.. U knw to read and write tamil???

Tara said...

That's a unique thought Ela! :)

Tara said...

Ahem ahem Karthik...not yet! But I will, when I do I'll let you know! :)

Nikkita mathur said...

bwahaha...watt a piece!!
the post was funny, cute, innocent and informative..

invormative?? look i learned so much
lion- singham
monkey- korungu
crow- kaka
sapotas - chiku
wow!!!
gr8 na!!!
but seriusly a very thoughtfully done tag!
cheerz! waiting for more stuff!

Tara said...

Very 'informative' indeed Niccku! I am glad you liked it! :)