
Childhood is perhaps the only time when we can do all that we want without ever being apologetic or embarrassed. It’s the most wonderful stage of our life, the only time we are naturally innocent and carefree. I cherish my childhood too, and here I am sharing some of my experiences with you.
This was when I was still a baby. My parents and I, as the little baby were sitting outside, around the bonfire munching peanuts. It was winter. The phone rang and amma went to attend the call. It was for appa, she called out for him. Now, comes the real part. I was there, sitting all by myself trying to grab a handful of peanuts. In the process, my woolen dress caught fire and I sat crying, my fist still full of peanuts. The woolen dress got completely burnt and it stuck to the tender baby skin. Thankfully, I did not suffer anything major but my skin got burnt and it was pretty painful for me, I am told.
The next time around, I had drunk eucalyptus oil. I was in high spirits the entire day and my two paatis(grandmas) couldn’t make out what was wrong with me. Only after I was back to my senses, that I told them that I had mistakenly drunk the oil.
Pati had her own tricks of scaring children and making them obey her. This was one of her evergreen ones and apparently, each and every child had got scared. Whenever she combed, she would collect the fallen hair which would be used for the trick. In a small piece of paper, she would place the hair and fold it, such that a little part of the hair is visible and it resembles the whiskers of a cockroach. Then, she would scare the children saying that there was a cockroach inside, and that if they didn’t listen to her, she would throw the cockroach on them.
She tried this trick on me too. I stood there staring and examining the piece of paper and the “cockroach” inside it, completely unmoved. Pati was proud of me because no other child had ever done that, and while I stood examining it, she couldn’t stop laughing that her trick had failed for the first time.
Another time, I had accompanied amma to her office during my summer vacations. Both my patis had gone down south, and so my parents would alternatively take me along to their workplaces. I would roam around the entire office building and most of the people knew me. I went to an aunty’s cabin and there a small porcelain statue of a dog caught my attention. I liked it so much that I just picked it up and took it with me and put it in amma’s handbag. That aunty did not notice that I had stolen the statue. On coming back home, I received a nice big scolding for having stolen it. I still have it, and every time I look at it, I am reminded of my wrongdoing.
When I was a little bigger, this incident took place and I am still shamed of it. One uncle used to visit us often, he was appa’s senior. He was an old man, a bachelor. He would come over for dinner sometimes. He would play cricket with me, I would throw the plastic ball and he would bat with a register. One day, I told him “I know why you visit us so frequently.”. He asked me why. And I told him “Because you get free dinner here”. I am so ashamed of myself. Uncle took it sportingly, but appa didn’t and shouldn’t have because it was a big mistake. That was one big lesson for me and he never visited us again.
This was when I was in fourth grade. I was part of the school choir, and we had to sing a song on Independence Day. We had been asked to wear a white salwar-kameez for the performance. I did not have one and so, we had to buy it. Some relatives had come over, and to show them how much I work and how responsible I am, I started ironing the brand new dress. Alright, I didn’t know how to iron clothes !! I started off pretty confidently, but by the end of it, I realized that I had burnt one of its sleeves. Scared, I comfortably hid the kameez. The day was approaching and I was scared to say the truth. Finally, I confessed to amma and we went looking for a similar cloth so we could replace the sleeves. We couldn’t find the same shade of white, and we settled for the closest one. I felt very odd because the sleeves really stood out in the daylight. My friends asked about it, and I kept saying that that was how it was made.
Childhood really teaches us lessons for life. Why is it that we lose our childhood somewhere? Why is it that we grow big only to become smaller?
9 comments:
that's a good question that u have asked in the end! but the answer is a hard one to come by not becoz it is not there but we always try not to acknowledge it!
Thanks! The answer is there at the back of our mind, but we don't bother to listen to it. We do what the world wants us to do, not what we should be doing.
Childhood is really such a special time, such raw innocence. I so miss those carefree days. Beautiful.
Thanks Ela. I look forward to your comments, they really touch my heart and soul. Thanks :)
how sweet tara..guess wat it took me almost 2 hrz to read these 7 paragraphs.....and thats just bcuz wid every incident i had some tale of my own to relate and think about...
it was 5min for ur incident and another 10 to think abt my own....and the cycle went on...
and finally about the post it was a good read..i enjoyed it...
the last few lines were the best part...
keep posting...gud to read ur mind..
luv:nickku
and yup!!
do read the poem mother on my blog..
and also let ur mum or any mum u knoe read it...
it was a gift for mother's day i gave to my mum...and she has asked me to spread it to as many mum as i can!!
Thanks Nickku. Jus Luv to read yur comments. My computer crashed badly and it's only now that it's feeling better. Ha ha.
Thanks for those comments Nickku. I mean ur writing really touches a chord somewhere. Nice. BTw, i have read ur poem, i think its beautiful, really. Ur mom's really lucky to have a truly beautiful daughter like u.
Oh yes.My condolences to all the families who lost their dear ones in the Jaipur blast. I kno it' late, but my comp was feeling unwell.
Thanks and gud to read ur mind. Ha, I used ur line. OOps!!
Thanks and take care
Ur dear friend
Tara
Nalla ezhudhareenga!!!!!Reminds me of my childhood-when i drank evrything that smelled good- eucalyptus oil & even phenyl!!!!
Mudinja en blogla first post padichu comment pannunga-some poems which i wrote long long ago..
Thanks Sid. Once I was just about to drink Kerosene oil, when my paati saw me. Somehow, that blue colour of kerosene still amuses me.
My mom always teases me saying that I am the only child involved in this drinking-weird-stuff business.
Paravaalle, nee yun appidithaane therinjudtu. Ha ha!
Comment ke nanri. Its fun writing tamil in english....isnt'it?
aww, i completely agree with you. such innocent, raw innocence just goes away as you grow older. each phase of life has its requirements, i suppose.
and hey, you're 17 too! wow. :)
Thanks busy-writer! Yes, may be each phase of life has its own requirement, but who decides these? We follow what everyone around us does, which may not be what we really want to do.
And yes, i am 17 too!!!
Post a Comment